Chapter Nine


And then a hero comes along
With the strength to carry on
And you cast your fears aside
And you know you will survive.

Xellos stared morosely out the window.

"Lina....." he sighed. Xellos heard a knock at the door but he didn't answer it. It obviously wasn't Zellas-sama. She always summoned him. "Come in." he murmured softly. Draneth walked in and stared at Xellos.

"How long are you going to sulk Xel-kun?" Draneth asked bluntly. "You have Zella-chan worried about you."

"Zella-chan?" Amusement filled Xellos' voice. He sensed the tension and embarrassment radiating from him.

"Well anyway I was wondering if you could take care of the wolf that I found on the island this morning." There was a whoosh of wind and Xellos heard a pitiful whine. Xellos turned around and stared at the wolf standing before him. The wolf had a midnight black coat and pale, pale golden eyes. Xellos felt a stab of pity wash over him.

"Hello fellow." Xellos said cheerfully as she knelt down next to the wolf. "What is your name?"

"Nightshayde." The wolf replied as he hesitantly allowed Xellos to pet him.

"Well hello Nightshayde, my name is Xellos Metallium, the Trickster Priest." Nightshayde panted slightly. "How in L-sama's name did you end up on Wolf Pack Island?" Xellos asked as he checked the wolf over for injuries. Nightshayde yelped when Xellos touched his right hind leg. "Hmmmm, is doesn't feel broken." Xellos cast a quick healing spell (And yes he does perform some White Magick!) Nightshayde lightly applied pressure to his leg, and when no searing pain ran up his leg, he licked Xellos' face happily.

"Thank you Metallium-san." Nightshayde said as she grinned wolf-like.

"Call me Xellos my dear wolf. Come Nightshayde, do you want to go hunting?"


Zellas Metallium watched as the wolf Nightshayde walked with Xellos around the island. Every now and then, Nightshayde would race off and Xellos would chase after him.

"Very clever Draneth." Zellas murmured into Draneth's mind. "This was just what Xellos needed."

"Thank you." Came Draneth's reply.

"I am glad that he has come out of that slump he was in. There is nothing worse then a heartbroken Mazuko!" Draneth's warm chuckle filled Zellas' mind.

So when you feel like hope is gone
Look inside you and be strong
And you'll finally see the truth
That a hero lies in you

Greyling looked at Lina as she devoured a huge amount of food.

She is worse then a pup. Greyling thought she tore into the deer hunch she was eating. Lina looked over at Greyling and laughed. "What?" Greyling asked.

"You have a... a piece of." Lina leaned over and pulled the bit of skin hanging form Greyling's jaws. The wolf looked at Lina with pale blue eyes.

"I could saw some thing about you eating habits as well." Greyling told her dryly. Lina laughed and finished off her food. After she was done Lina lay down on her bedroll and stared up at the stars.

I wonder what Xellos is doing right now? Lina thought silently.

"Who's Xellos?" Greyling asked.

"He's more lover. He was afraid for my safety so he left." Lina's hands clenched into fists.

"And this hurt you?" Greyling statement was more of a question.

"Damn right!" Lina growled. "He just left without any thought of my feeling. He didn't ask me how I felt, no he just made the decision while I was healing." Lina was horrified to find that tears were tracking their way down her cheeks. Greyling whined and walked over to her.

"Don't cry Lina-san." Greyling's tongue brushed against Lina's cheek as she licked off the salty tears that stained Lina's pale cheek. Lina sat up and buried her face in Greyling's thick fur. The wolf's fur was surprisingly soft and it had soothing woodsy smell to it. Lina sobbed and wrapped her arms around Greyling's proudly arched neck. The wolf licked Lina's ear, and hooked her head over Lina's shoulder. "Poor cub." Greyling thought to herself. Lina continued to cry into Greyling's neck and she finally cried herself out.

"Thank you Greyling." Lina murmured as she sat back and scratched Greyling behind the ears.

"It is nothing. I was worse off then you when I lost my mate."

"Of when did this happen?" Lina asked concerned.

"A short while ago, I wouldn't eat or sleep, I looked all over for him, but I couldn't find him. Then I was captured by those blasted farmers!" Greyling growled low in her throat. "Well you know the rest."

"Of Greyling, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize...." Lina said softly.

"Don't worry Lina. I know that the Gods will let he and I hunt side by side in the next life." Greyling's pale blue eyes shone with a painful intelligence and certainty.

"You're not a normal wolf are you?"

"No." Greyling replied. "I am going to scout out the area, try to get some sleep Lina-san." Greyling stood up and raced into the woods. Lina didn't even her the rustling of leaves as the wolf ran into the night

Lord knows
Dreams are hard to follow
But don't let anyone
Tear them away

Lina and Greyling had been traveling strait for about seven months before they finally got a fixed location on where Wolf Pack Island was.

"Yes!" Lina cried as she looked down at map she had bought. "It says here that Wolf Pack Island is south of here. South!" Lina cried. "That's going to take forever.

"Don't lose hope Lina-san." Greyling said. "It is the best lead we have gotten so far"

"Hai, you're right but...."

"Lina?"

Hold on
There will be tomorrow
In time
You will find a way

"Lina!" Lina looked up just in time to be hugged by a woman who was obviously pregnant. Lina looked up into a pair was elated yet angry lavender-gray eyes. "Where in the name of the Gods have you been?" Khirah cried and let go of the petite sorceress.

"Hi Khirah."

"You had us worried sick!" Khirah cried. "That night you just vanished and urg! Don't do that to us again!"

"Relax Khirah I have been fine, Greyling and I have taken very good care of ourselves."

"Greyling?" Khirah asked confused.

"Greyling." Lina gestured at the she-wolf who refused to look up. Khirah knelt down and patted Greyling.

"How are you doing girl?" Khirah asked. But just as he hand touched the wolf's coat, a shock ran up her arm. "What the devil." Khirah looked into Greyling's eyes. "What are you....."

"Don't tell her!" Greyling told Khirah.

".... doing with a Mystical Wolf Lina-chan?"

"What's a Mystical Wolf?" Lina asked confused.

"I Mystical Wolf is a extremely rare animal. They have the bodied of wolves, but they have the mind equal to that of a human. Sometimes smarter as in Gourry's case." Lina grinned.

"How is that Jellyfish Brain?"

"He and Slyphial are getting married.

"No way?" Lina exclaimed. "What about Martina and Zangalus?"

"Well Zel and I moved here about four months ago, and we took over the sword-school that Zel's father started. I've started a sorcerer branch here as well. Zangalus and Zel work on the swordplay while Martina and I work on sorcerer. Although Zel helps out a lot on the sorcerer especially lately." Khirah patted her swollen belly. "This kid is one active little bugger." Khirah smiled warmly. Lina had to admit she did seem to glow. "Well come on Lina." Khirah grabbed Lina's hand.

"Where are we going?" Lina asked.

"To our place. You think you can just breeze through town without stopping to see Zel? He'll be crushed, as will Amelia."

"She's here?" Lina asked somewhat surprised.

"Yeah she is here to study. But she'll only be here for a short while. The poor thing, all that court life after the freedom of the open road." Khirah gave a mock shudder. "Come on Lina. You at least have to eat dinner with us." Lina nodded hesitantly and followed Khirah

And then a hero comes along
With the strength to carry on
And you cast your fears aside
And you know you will survive.

"Xellos, I want to try to find my mate, will you come with, me?" Nightshayde asked.

"Yes of course. I will do whatever I can to help you find her."

"Than can you take up to the mountains of Antrisia?"

"Yes, is that where you last saw here."

"Yes, that is where she is." Nightshayde said with an uncanny certainty. Xellos nodded and touched Nightshayde as he held out his staff. Xellos murmured a few words and he and Nightshayde disappeared.


Lina walked hesitantly into the courtyard of Khirah and Zel's home/school.

"Lina-san!" Lina turned around and Amelia hugged her. "You're back!" Amelia looked at Lina with tear-filled blue eyes. "I heard what happened with Xellos, I'm sorry." Lina slightly hugged Amelia back. Khirah slipped into her house and moments later, everyone was outside ready to greet Lina. Zel whipped the sweat from his brow with his hand. Zangalus followed along behind him limping slightly.

"Were you two fighting again?" Khirah asked in exasperation.

"Yes they were." Lina turned around and was surprised to see Martina standing in the doorway of the house, and decent clothing. Martina was wearing a rather flattering shade of aqua that complimented her hair excellently.

"So what have you been up to Lina?" Zel asked as he wrapped his arm around Khirah's waist.

"Everywhere." Lina admitted. Greyling whined and Lina knelt down next to her. "This is Greyling a Mystical Wolf.

"A Mystical wh....." Khirah dug her elbow into Zel's ribs and gasped for air.

"Khirah!" Khirah gave Zel a Death Glare

"We'll talk about it latter dear." Khirah grinned impishly. "Well come on everyone. Let's see if we can empty out my pantry ne?" Khirah turned around and everyone filed into the kitchen.


"Khirah this is really good food." Lina murmured. Khirah blushed slightly and fed Greyling a piece of meat.

"Here you are girl, not outside with you." Khirah's lavender-gray eye sparkled with merriment, and Greyling's eye flashed, but she did as ordered. Lina watched this exchange with curiosity. After dinner, Khirah and Zel demanded that Lina stay the night


Lina had just said goodnight to everyone when Lina heard Greyling howl. Lina ran outside and looked for her friend.

"Greyling!" Lina called. The wolf suddenly appeared.

"Lina come with me! I have found him, I have found my mate!" Greyling's tone was filled with joy and excitement.


Xellos had just gotten comfortable when Nightshayde suddenly ran into his campsite.

"Xellos I have found her!" Nightshayde yapped. "I have found my mate. Come! Come!" Nightshayde grabbed Xellos' hand and dragged him into the forest.

"Nightshayde!" Cut it out!" Xellos cried as the wolf broke into a run. Xellos ran with the wolf and he they suddenly reached a clearing Nightshayde streaked across the clearing a silver-gray wolf sudden appeared. The two jumped at each other and wrestled together. Xellos laughed deep in his throat. He looked up when he heard someone gasp.

"Xellos." Xellos stared into Lina's ruby colored eyes. Xellos walked forward, not paying any heed to the two wolves as he walked over to Lina.

"Lina." he whispered as he reached out for her. Lina walked towards him with a completely expressionless face. "Lina... I" Xellos grabbed Lina and hugged her fiercely and kissed her. He tried to make that one kiss make up for everything they had missed in the last months. Lina broke off the kiss and slapped him.

"How dare you?" she gasped out the same words she had that nigh by the pond. "You just left me like that, and now you expect me to just welcome you back with open arms?" Tears trickled down Lina's cheeks.

"Lina..... I don't want to endanger you. I couldn't live with myself is you were hurt." Lina snarled and she cast the Laguna Blade in record time. She held the pulsing black magickal blade at Xellos' throat. "What makes you think I am some weak defenseless human. I defeated Shabrinigdo, and a lot of other nasty people. Do you think so little of me that I can't defend myself? The only reason Sherra clipped me with that blast is because I was paying attention to you. And she would have killed me if I hadn't moved. I am not weak Xellos, and I will not let you decide what is best for me. Do you understand?" Lina looked at Xellos with hard uncompromising eyes.

"Yes Lina." Xellos whispered. Lina got rid of the Laguna Blade, and she allowed Xellos to embrace her once more. "Oh my Lina-chan. My dear sweet Lina-chan." Xellos murmured as he stroked her hair. "I have missed you more then life itself." Xellos looked at Lina with bright amethyst eyes. "I promise I won't every leave you again, unless you want me too?" Xellos said with a touch of uncertainty in his voice.

"Is that all?" Lina asked as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Would it help if I told you I have barely been able to breathe without the pain of living without you nearly overwhelming me?"

"Getting better." Lina grinned.

"How about if I say you are the greatest thing to ever happen to me?"

"Close but not quiet right." Lina kissed Xellos teasingly.

"How about I love you." Lina grinned outright.

"About bloody time." she whispered as she kissed Xellos passionately


Unnoticed, Nightshayde and Greyling ran off into the woods. The two wolves ran side by side. And they suddenly stopped. Their muzzled touched in an oddly human-like gesture. In a flash of light, Nightshayde and Greyling had disappeared. In their place, were Zellas and Draneth kissing.

"I do believe our plan worked." Draneth said dryly not a little bemused.

"Draneth shut up and kiss me!" Zellas dragged Draneth's mouth down upon her own

So when you feel like hope is gone
Look inside you and be strong
And you'll finally see the truth
That a hero lies in you


Chapter 10   |   Fanfiction